What We Believe
STATEMENT OF FAITH
1. There is one God, (1) who is infinitely perfect,(2) existing eternally in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.(3)
2. Jesus Christ is the true God and the true man.(4) He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.(5) He died upon the cross, the Just for the unjust,(6) as a substitutionary sacrifice,(7) and all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood.(8) He arose from the dead according to the Scriptures.(9) He is now at the right hand of Majesty on high as our great High Priest.(10) He will come again to establish His kingdom, righteousness and peace. (11)
3. The Holy Spirit is a divine person,(12) sent to indwell, guide, teach, empower the believer,(13) and convince the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment.(14)
4. The Old and New Testaments, inerrant as originally given, were verbally inspired by God and are a complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men. They constitute the divine and only rule of Christian faith and practice.(15)
5. Man was originally created in the image and likeness of God:(16) he fell through disobedience, incurring thereby both physical and spiritual death. All men are born with a sinful nature,(17) are separated from the life of God, and can be saved only through the atoning work of the Lord Jesus Christ.(18) The portion of the unrepentant and unbelieving is existence forever in conscious torment;(19) and that of the believer, in everlasting joy and bliss.(20)
6. Salvation has been provided through Jesus Christ for all men; and those who repent and believe in Him are born again of the Holy Spirit, receive the gift of eternal life, and become the children of God.(21)
7. It is the will of God that each believer should be filled with the Holy Spirit and be sanctified wholly,(22) being separated from sin and the world and fully dedicated to the will of God, thereby receiving power for holy living and effective service.(23) This is both a crisis and a progressive experience wrought in the life of the believer subsequent to conversion.(24)
8. Provision is made in the redemptive work of the Lord Jesus Christ for the healing of the mortal body.(25) Prayer for the sick and anointing with oil are taught in the Scriptures and are privileges for the Church in this present age.(26)
9. The Church consists of all those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, are redeemed through His blood, and are born again of the Holy Spirit. Christ is the Head of the Body, the Church, (27) which has been commissioned by Him to go into all the world as a witness, preaching the gospel to all nations.(28) The local church is a body of believers in Christ who are joined together for the worship of God, for edification through the Word of God, for prayer, fellowship, the proclamation of the gospel, and observance of the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.(29)
10. There shall be a bodily resurrection of the just and of the unjust; for the former, a resurrection unto life;(30) for the latter, a resurrection unto judgment.(31)
11. The second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ is imminent(32) and will be personal, visible, and premillennial.(33) This is the believer’s blessed hope and is a vital truth which is an incentive to holy living and faithful service.(34)
(1) Deuteronomy 6:4, (2) Matthew 5:48, (3) Matthew 28:19, (4) Philippians 2:6-11, (5) Luke 1:34-38, (6) 1 Peter 3:18, (7) Hebrews 2:9, (8) Romans 5:9, (9) Acts 2:23-24, (10) Hebrews 8:1, (11) Matthew 26:64, (12) John 14:15-18, (13) John 16:13; Acts 1:8, (14) John 16:7-11, (15) 2 Peter 1:20-21; 2 Timothy 3:15-16, (16) Genesis 1:27, (17) Romans 3:23, (18) 1 Corinthians 15:20-23, (19) Revelation 21:8, (20) Revelation 21:1-4, (21) Titus 3:4-7, (22) 1 Thessalonians 5:23, (23) Acts 1:8, (24) Romans 6:1-14, (25) Matthew 8:16-17, (26) James 5:13-16, (27) Ephesians 1:22-23, (28) Matthew 28:19-20, (29) Acts 2:41-47, (30) 1 Corinthians 15:20-23, (31) John 5:28-29, (32) Hebrews 10:37, (33) Luke 21:27, (34) Titus 2:11-14
Freshwater's Vision and Mission
God continues to bless our church in incredible ways, with our average attendance increasing by about 10% annually since 2003. With more than 600 people coming through our doors each Sunday, we seek to provide an environment that encourages everyone to grow closer with God as they come into His presence every week.
The human race has forever been searching for the meaning of life. As we read the Bible, it makes it clear that meaning and purpose is found in a radical shift where we are no longer the point but God is. It leads us to conclude that true, meaning-filled, and lasting purpose is found by first LIVING UP and being connected to God, and second LIVING IN and being connected to His family, and third LIVING OUT and being connected His mission of loving this world.
Additionally, while we can’t hit every need or ministry we see, we sense the Lord is calling Freshwater to meet these specific ministries:
-Reach the unreached, meet the basic needs of the poor, speak into social injustice – holistic, cross-cultural compassion
-Minister to families, raising kids and marriages
-Concentrate on the spiritually & emotionally broken/deficient
-Serve the elderly and retired
-Build our capacity through leadership development
Our Vision is to to see the Freshwater of God flow in us and overflow out into this world. Ezekiel 47 talks about God’s Fresh water (a metaphor of His presence) flowing in the temple and then overflowing into the desert places and the dead sea. Everywhere the freshwater flowed it brought life, healing, food, and transformation. This is the vision we believe God has given our church and it seems to be the story of our church as people come in and discover and experience God’s fresh water. We have found that once people get Ezekiel’s vision we don’t have to explain it, they can see it. A vision is worth 1,000 words.
“This water flows there and makes the salt water fresh; so where the river flows everything will live.”~Ezekiel 47:9
The Christian and Missionary Alliance
Freshwater Community Church is part of the Christian & Missionary Alliance. It began as a small movement of Christians led by A.B. Simpson in 1887 to preach about Jesus as our Savior, Sanctifier, Healer, and Coming King, and completing His Great Commission, and now has grown into a movement of 6 millions Christians in over 20,000 churches worldwide. In the United States, the Alliance has over 500,000 Christians in 2,000 churches. Freshwater Community Church is part of the Central District which covers eastern Ohio and all of West Virginia.
THE CHRISTIAN AND MISSIONARY ALLIANCE
The Freshwater Community Church (FCC) of The Christian and Missionary Alliance is a community of faith that exists to exercise and express its biblical beliefs within the broader community of The Christian and Missionary Alliance (C&MA). These beliefs are grounded in a shared understanding of Holy Scripture including those beliefs and standards specifically addressed in the Manual of the Christian and Missionary Alliance.